Remember, in this class we set out to understand 3 things:
- What are the principles of social media culture?
- What are the effects of social media on various aspects of society, work, life, etc.?
- How is social media used in specific contexts? How should it be used?
The book Born Digital focuses on effects. What are the effects of these new technologies on a generation of Americans (digital natives)?
As you read the book, try to identify how digital technologies (broader than social media) have changed this generation, digital natives.
Select 3-5 characteristics of digital natives, as described in the book, and write a blog post to comment on them. Do they ring true to you? (are you a digital native?) Is it good or bad? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this effect for society, and for the specific individual?
Please read the Introduction, 3 chapters of your choice, and ch 13, Synthesis, very carefully. Skim the other chapters, which means, read:
- the first 2 pages of the chapter;
- the first sentence of the following paragraphs in the chapter;
- the last 2-3 paragraphs of the chapter, or the chapter conclusion section, if there is one.
See also: How to read a book in 2 hours.