I mentioned in class Nielsen’s very accessible explanation of Information Foraging Theory, take a moment to look it over. If you’re interested, you can find the book on amazon.com, and there are, of course, articles and conference proceedings that explain the theory as well.
Posts Tagged ‘class readings’
Remember, in this class we set out to understand 3 things:
- What are the principles of social media culture?
- What are the effects of social media on various aspects of society, work, life, etc.?
- How is social media used in specific contexts? How should it be used?
The book Born Digital focuses on effects. What are the effects of these new technologies on a generation of Americans (digital natives)?
As you read the book, try to identify how digital technologies (broader than social media) have changed this generation, digital natives.
Select 3-5 characteristics of digital natives, as described in the book, and write a blog post to comment on them. Do they ring true to you? (are you a digital native?) Is it good or bad? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this effect for society, and for the specific individual?
Please read the Introduction, 3 chapters of your choice, and ch 13, Synthesis, very carefully. Skim the other chapters, which means, read:
- the first 2 pages of the chapter;
- the first sentence of the following paragraphs in the chapter;
- the last 2-3 paragraphs of the chapter, or the chapter conclusion section, if there is one.
See also: How to read a book in 2 hours.